Council took action on the following items:
• A conditional use permit request on behalf of Mrs. Frankie Todt for a home occupation was approved with no conditions.
• An alley abandonment request on behalf of Mr. Bruce Finch was continued.
• A request to close a portion of Irving Street from Griffin Boulevard to Hill Street on Saturday, August 18, 2018 from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for the Jericho Baptist yard sale was approved.
• A request for a conditional use permit on behalf of Mr. Fred Pearson to construct a 52-unit apartment development on Vernon Street was referred to the Farmville Planning Commission.
• Council was briefed on a prospective new business, “Rosemyr’s AA Self Storage” a climate-controlled self-storage facility interested in locating in the former Schewel’s space.
• Council approved the following streets to be paved this fall:
North Main from Depot Street to the Corporate Limits
North Bridge Street from E. Second to Haynes Street
Glenn Street and Watson Street
Train station parking lot
Fourth Avenue from Gilliam Drive to Irving Street
South Main from Corporate Limits to Williams Street
Dates to remember:
August 13, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers – a special joint meeting of the Farmville Town Council and the Farmville Planning Commission for a briefing by the Berkley Group on updating the Town’s comprehensive plan, zoning and subdivision ordinances.
August 23, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. at the Firemen’s Sports Arena – “Public Open House” with representatives of the Berkley Group. The public will have the opportunity to learn about the process of updating town’s comprehensive plan, zoning and subdivision ordinances. The community is encouraged to attend. Time will be set aside to ask questions and provide input.
The first week of September, the Farmville Regional Airport will be closed for approximately 35 days for reconstruction of the existing apron.
Minutes of the August 8, 2018 Town Council meeting will be posted on the Town’s website shortly.