Select Page

Contractor Information

Contractor Building Permits

Before obtaining a building permit, the contractor or tradesman:
-shall provide proof that he/she is a licensed contractor or a certified tradesman
-shall possess a valid business license
-shall provide detailed plans for a new structure, room addition, remodeling, etc.

Applications for a building permit
(Applications for a building permit may be obtained from the Building Official’s office at the Town Municipal Building, 116 N. Main Street, by the web here, or by fax (434-392-6135).

The Town Manager will need to be contacted prior to any construction or installation on town property. These items include, but are not limited to, signs, posts, culvert pipes, etc.

Soil Erosion Permit
A soil erosion permit will be required for any commercial, industrial, or multi-family residential building which requires a disturbance of the soil in an area larger than 10,000 square feet. At a minimum, single-family residential construction will require an “agreement in lieu of a plan.” Contact Will Nash at 434-392-8465.

Zoning approval will be needed for any change of use, new construction, room addition, garage, shed, sign, etc. and permits may be required that need to be advertised.

Business license
Prior to permits being issued, all contractor’s names, addresses, phone numbers and estimated cost of the job shall be submitted to the Building Official. All contractors must meet the Town of Farmville requirements for a business license. Questions and information on business licenses can be obtained by calling 434-392-3333.

No permit shall be issued to begin work for new construction or other building operation until fees prescribed in this section have been paid. The fees shall be affixed at the rates described on the Building Official page

Occupancy Permit
Before occupying a building, a certificate of occupancy (CO) must be issued for new construction or a change of use. The final inspection shall be permitted to serve as the CO in the case of additions or alterations to existing buildings that already have a CO. Residential utility buildings do not require a CO.

Owner’s – Ordinary

Prior to obtaining a permit, the owner will need to

  • Complete and sign an affidavit stating that they are the owner and will be performing or supervising the work.
  • Owners are responsible for supplying a list of all subcontractors, individuals, etc. working for them. Along with this we will need the estimated dollar amount of the job they are doing, their address, phone number, and tradesman or contractor’s license number if applicable.
  • Provide detail plans for a new structure, room addition, deck, or remodeling of an existing structure to the Building Official for review.

Accurate Statement of Costs

Upon application, the contractor will be asked to furnish a statement of estimated cost of construction to determine if purchase of town business license is necessary.

We welcome any questions or comments that you may have concerning the Building Inspections Department for the Town of Farmville. 

Phillip Moore – Building Official
Kristen Queen – Administrative Assistant

Town of Farmville
116 N. Main St
Farmville, VA 23901
Telephone #: 434-392-8465
Fax #: 434-392-3160

Farmville, Virginia
Town of Farmville, Virginia
Share This