Contractor Information

  1. Contractor Building Permits
  2. Owners - Ordinary
  3. Accurate Statement of Costs

Before obtaining a building permit, the contractor or tradesman:

  • Shall provide proof that he/she is a licensed contractor or a certified tradesman
  • Shall possess a valid business license
  • Shall provide detailed plans for a new structure, room addition, remodeling, etc.

Applications for a Building Permit

Applications for a building permit may be obtained from the Building Official's office at the Town Municipal Building located at 116 N Main Street, by accessing and downloading the Building Permit (PDF), or by fax at 434-392-6135.

The Town Manager will need to be contacted prior to any construction or installation on town property. These items include, but are not limited to, signs, posts, culvert pipes, etc.

Soil Erosion Permit

A soil erosion permit will be required for any commercial, industrial, or multi-family residential building which requires a disturbance of the soil in an area larger than 10,000 square feet. At a minimum, single-family residential construction will require an "agreement in lieu of a plan."

Contact Will Nash at 434-392-8465 for more information.


Zoning approval will be needed for any change of use, new construction, room addition, garage, shed, sign, etc. and permits may be required that need to be advertised.

Business License

Prior to permits being issued, all contractor's names, addresses, phone numbers and estimated cost of the job shall be submitted to the Building Official. All contractors must meet the Town of Farmville requirements for a business license. Questions and information on business licenses can be obtained by calling 434-392-3333.


No permit shall be issued to begin work for new construction or other building operation until fees prescribed in this section have been paid. The fees shall be affixed at the rates described on the Building Official page.

Occupancy Permit

Before occupying a building, a certificate of occupancy (CO) must be issued for new construction or a change of use. The final inspection shall be permitted to serve as the CO in the case of additions or alterations to existing buildings that already have a CO. Residential utility buildings do not require a CO.