Building Official

The Building Official is responsible for enforcing the International Building Code, as well as the specific electrical, mechanical and plumbing codes contained in the Town of Farmville Code. The State of Virginia uses 2015 Building Code and 2014 Electrical Code.

To ensure that building codes are met, the building official must make inspections on a project throughout its duration. The Building Official's office handles all applications for the issuance of building permits for the alteration or erection of all buildings/structures.

The Building Official is responsible for issuing notices of unsafe conditions found in buildings/structures. Written notices will be served to the owner, agent or person responsible for the building/structure, describing why the structure was deemed unsafe and specifying the required improvements needed to bring it into compliance.

Appointments and inspections can be scheduled for Monday through Friday. Please request inspections at least 24 hours in advance.

For More Information

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact our office at 434-392-8465.

Fee Schedule

View the current Fee Schedule (PDF). For helpful information for contractors visit our Contractor Information page.

Building & Demolition Permit

All building and demolition permits will take a minimum of 24 hours to be processed. General contractors are advised to submit a list of sub-contractors for each job and estimated job cost when the building permit is submitted. Without this information, there could be a delay in processing the permit. If you are applying for a demolition permit, please remember, it is the responsibility of the owner or agent to notify all utilities for disconnection. Demolition permits will not be issued until a release from each utility service is obtained.

For more information:

Town Business License

In order to perform work in the Town of Farmville, you must have a Business License (PDF). When applying for a building permit and the job is $25,000 or less, you may use a copy of your current locality's business license. If you can not provide one, you will be required to purchase a license with the Town of Farmville.